What causes Candida Die Off?
- Your immune system is always trying to keep a healthy balance, and in the process candida get's killed.
That's one of the reasons why you don't feel well at the moment. Because your body is constantly killing candida.
Whilst you are still eating a "normal" diet you are at the same time encouraging candida growth!
But you can only win this game if your candida die off score is higher than its growth rate.
That's where the Candida Diet comes in. You eliminate old candida and prohibit any new growth at the same time. Result!
- Eating things like garlic, ginger and coconut oil does also cause fairly substantial Candida Die Off.
That's why you'll experience a lot more symptoms after eating a hot curry with strong spices. These act as natural antifungals that kill yeast.
(and unfortunately also the friendly bacteria - hence you should keep these types of dishes to a minimum whilst you're on the candida diet.)
- Thirdly there is the big group of pharmaceutical antifungals that you take as supplements specifically for killing candida.
Depending how severe your candida overgrowth is to begin with you might only be able to tolerate a low dose of antifungals at first.
Otherwise, as the candida die off process is triggered so well that your body might get overwhelmed if it's done too sudden.
What's happening in your body when candida is killed?
- When your body kills Candida it produces poisonous by-products that cause a whole range of severe Candida symptoms.
This is also called Candida Die Off or "Herzheimer reaction". And it's effects can be extremely overwhelming. Making you feel truly awful and ill.
- This occurs if there are too many of these yeast by-products in your bloodstream to be processed by your liver.
- As these byproducts are floating around in your body they are causing more inflammations and reinfections of previously healed areas.
- It is quite common "to feel worse before you feel better".
Where in your body does the Candida Die Off happen?
- The yeast related signs of candida elimination can literally pop up in any part of your body if not in several at the same time (see complete list of candida symptoms here).
- The new onset of inflammations caused by the Candida die off process is not a relapse.
- It is generally a sign that the treatment is working and Candida is being killed.
But watch out, if the symptoms don't subside this could mean that the Candida strains have not all been eliminated and have become resistant.
- They might have found an area in your body where they have an ideal environment to thrive again.
- This can easily happen when you have eaten something sweet or had a lot of stress or caught a virus perhaps.
Can the Candida Die Off Symptoms kick in delayed?
- Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between new symptoms and those caused by Candida die off, as neither occur in a timely manner.
You might eat something and feel fine for two days until you experience the first onset of break out.
- As you go through the Candida Diet you'll notice that your body as well as the Candida Die Off symptoms itself go through cycles.
You'll soon be able to recognise symptom patterns straight away and treat them quickly before they can spread to other areas in your body.
- I'm thinking of showing you examples of those patterns from excerpts of my food diary. At the moment I'm too busy to really go through this mountain of data -we are talking 2.5 jears worth of daily entries here! But this is something I would like to do in the future if this is of interest to you...
In the meantime check out these tips and if you have a question, ask it in the comments at the bottom of this page or shoot me an email.
Follow these 11 Simple Tips to Get Rid of Your Candida Die Off Symptoms:
- Eat light and early (between 5.30pm and 6:30pm works best for me))
- Drink 2-3l of water and nettle tea
- Swish a mixture of sunflower oil and essential oils of thyme, cinnamon bark and tea tree around your mouth for 15 mins before breakfast, rinse well (10 parts sunfl - 1 part other oils)
- Drink warm water before breaky and hot water with freshly squeezed lemon juice during the day
- Reduce eating yogurt
- Use a steam bath or sauna (this all aids the candida elimination process)
- Avoid using garlic and coconut oil and take less antifungals for 1-2 days
- Take a rest after lunch (guided relaxation meditation or self-hypnosis help)
- Take herbs that aid your liver’s ability to break down toxins (drink dandelion & burdock tea to minimize bloating.)
- Avoid having a huge bulk of veg with supper
- Avoid eating lots of beans or lentils at supper
A small portion of beans or lentils might be ok, no more than a big handful though otherwise you might get abdominal problems. The excess protein is also likely to wake you up at night or lead to a blocked nose.
I explain why this happens in one of my next blog posts.
Until then please just take my word for it that it's best to stay away from it as a supper option whilst you are struggling with the raised levels of candida toxins in your system. It's just as nice for lunch.
Keep grains at a minimum, too. I noticed that big bowls of porridge, quinoa, buckweat or millet all made my symptoms worse. So did eating eggs or pancakes for dinner - yeah alright, who eats pancakes for dinner anyway, ay
If you're experiencing a flare up of some sort yourself I suggest you put your name on my email list now
I'll be covering candida die off issues and info about healthy eating extensively in my upcoming newsletters and in personal email conversations.
One such topic that is scheduled to go out to my subscribers only is listed below:
Candida Die Off versus New Symptoms
= An 11 point checklist to help you determine if your symptoms indicate a decrease in yeast numbers or new candida growth.
These are some of my personal proven tactics to combat Candida Die Off.