Ratatouille with Coconut Rice
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Total time 50 minutes
Dietary Vegetarian, Candida diet phase 3 (or limit to one portion during phase 2)
Freezable, Serve Hot
Here’s a lovely Mediterranean-style candida diet recipe – Ratatouille with Creamy Coconut Rice…
- 1 Medium aubergine (thinly sliced & cubed)
- 2 Small courgettes (sliced )
- 3 organic bell peppers (any colour )
- 1 Large red onion (coarsely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- salt & black pepper & tumeric
- olive oil
- 1 can organic tomatoes (make sure there’s no citric acid in it – if you can’t find one without use 4 ripe tomatoes instead)
- tomato puree (about half a tube)
- 60g brown rice (1/2 cup or more) (or double the amount if making some for the next day ;-))
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
|Heat a generous swug of olive oil in a wok or big frying pan and add tumeric, salt and pepper.|
|Cut the aubergines into 1cm thin slices and fry them first as they need longest to soften.
Then chop the rest of the vegetables into bite-size chunks; disregarding the core of the bell peppers.
Ideally chop the bell peppers not too small as they desintegrate easily.
Add all veg to the frying pan, stirring regularly.
|Get the garlic ready while the veg is cooking. Add the garlic after 10-15 mins of cooking. Then add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Season well.
Continue to cook without lid for 15 more minutes or until the bell peppers’ skins are soft. It’s ready when the liquid has reduced down to a creamy consistency.
|Season with salt & pepper.|
|Bring 1 l of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt. Wait until it’s boiling again, then add the rice.
Simmer the rice for 35-40 mins until soft. Stirring occasionally and making sure there is sufficient water in the pot. If necessary pour in more boiling water.
Drain & add the coconut oil, stirring until it has melted and is distributed evenly.
If you don’t fancy rice with this – Ratatouille also tastes great with steamed or grilled fish; which also makes the dish a bit more filling.
Serve with a green salad, some fresh spinach leaves or simply on its own.
Add your name & email address in the box above, and you won’t ever miss the latest candida diet tips & recipes ?