Sugar free Macadamia Coconut Cookies
These cookies are not only chewy, gluten and sugar free.
No, they are also heart-friendly with a buttery flavour, honey colour and a nice crunch when you bite the chunky macadamia nuts.
They feel really substantial as well when you hold them under your nose to smell the delightfully sweet caramel flavour of the coconut clusters.
You can make these cookies dairy free by leaving the butter out and just use coconut oil. Or use Earth Balance to make them fully vegan.
You need not worry that Macadamia nuts might have a high fat content. Apparently they contain mostly un-saturated fats that your body needs, as well as good amounts of minerals and protein.
Hence these cookies are filling in the most satisfying uplifting oatmeal cereal bar (flapjack) joy kinda way. You could easily graze on one of the bigger cookies mid morning and not get hungry at lunch.
That makes them the ideal travel food. But they are best stored in an airtight container in the fridge, so the nuts don’t get rancid. The cookies have a lovely subtle caramel flavour – you’d never guess that they don’t contain any sugar. Yes you heard that right – these cookies are made with no sugar. Only stevia and xylitol!
Tasty Cookies sweetened with Xylitol and Stevia
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter or Earth Balance spread, softened (I used 2/3 coconut oil and 1/3 butter)
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated Xylitol
- 1 sachet of Stevia (1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (60 g) gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- generous pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (45g) quick-cooking oats (you can grind them with a grinder like this for a finer texture)
- 1/2 cup (75g) desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts (plus 6 halves for deco)
- Heat oven to 375°F (gas mark 5). In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended. On low speed, beat in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until well blended. Stir in oats, coconut and nuts.
- Line a cookie sheet with baking paper. Then shape six flat circles of dough about a finger’s width thick. Alternatively form small round mounds. Leave a little space in between each cookie.
- Stick a Macadamia nut in the center of each cookie.
- Bake until golden brown. Takes about ten minutes. Cool down on a cooling rack.