Maca Morning Glory Smoothie
Prep time: 1 min
Cook time: 1 min
Total time: 2 mins
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 small apple (I used Braeburn)
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- half a tin of organic coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Maca powder
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Soak the flax seeds (and buckwheat if you like) in 3 times as much water for 15 minutes or longer.
- Wash and chop the celery sticks and cut them into chunks that your blender can handle.
- Peel and quarter the apple and add to the blender.
- Add the flax seeds, buckwheat and the spices to the blender.
- Mix everything. For a smoother consistency you could grind or pre-soak the buckwheat groats beforehand.
This is the perfect mid morning pick me up smoothie!
On a grey day when everything just feels overwhelming, and you are in desperate need for something sweet. Well, on any day really ?
This Maca Smoothie creation came about a bit randomly, but I’m glad it did. I’ll definitely be having that again!
I wanted something filling, so I added half a tin of coconut milk to my usual base smoothie ingredients of celery and apple.
Pick good quality coconut milk for ,with a very high coconut content and as little bulking agents as possible (no citric acid or oodles of E’s or cellulose and stuff please, it really taints the flavour!)
The Maca powder gives it a slight caramel flavour which makes the drink so comforting and energizing.
It goes very well with the nutty sweetness of the buckwheat.
If you add the buckwheat groats to the blender without prior soaking then they get broken down pretty well, but the texture is not hundred percent smooth. More like fine soaked oats.
I really liked this, because the tiny buckwheat flakes bulked it up to a rich full bodied oaty yumminess. You can still see the tiny white flakes in the photos below.
I was in fact so smitten by the funny colour and texture that I forgot to put my chlorella & spirulina powder in, hah.
Oh goodie – a green smoothie without the greens, well most greens, anyway ?
Don’t worry, if you don’t have Maca powder.
I’m pretty sure the smoothie tastes perfectly lovely without. But if you do happen to have it flying about – try it out ?