Ratatouille with Coconut Rice
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Total time 50 minutes
Dietary Vegetarian, Candida diet phase 3 (or limit to one portion during phase 2)
Freezable, Serve Hot
Here’s a lovely Mediterranean-style candida diet recipe – Ratatouille with Creamy Coconut Rice…
- 1 Medium aubergine (thinly sliced & cubed)
- 2 Small courgettes (sliced )
- 3 organic bell peppers (any colour )
- 1 Large red onion (coarsely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- salt & black pepper & tumeric
- olive oil
- 1 can organic tomatoes (make sure there’s no citric acid in it – if you can’t find one without use 4 ripe tomatoes instead)
- tomato puree (about half a tube)
- 60g brown rice (1/2 cup or more) (or double the amount if making some for the next day ;-))
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
|Heat a generous swug of olive oil in a wok or big frying pan and add tumeric, salt and pepper.|
|Cut the aubergines into 1cm thin slices and fry them first as they need longest to soften.|
Then chop the rest of the vegetables into bite-size chunks; disregarding the core of the bell peppers.
Ideally chop the bell peppers not too small as they desintegrate easily.
Add all veg to the frying pan, stirring regularly.
|Get the garlic ready while the veg is cooking. Add the garlic after 10-15 mins of cooking. Then add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Season well.|
Continue to cook without lid for 15 more minutes or until the bell peppers’ skins are soft. It’s ready when the liquid has reduced down to a creamy consistency.
|Season with salt & pepper.|
|Bring 1 l of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt. Wait until it’s boiling again, then add the rice.|
Simmer the rice for 35-40 mins until soft. Stirring occasionally and making sure there is sufficient water in the pot. If necessary pour in more boiling water.
Drain & add the coconut oil, stirring until it has melted and is distributed evenly.
If you don’t fancy rice with this – Ratatouille also tastes great with steamed or grilled fish; which also makes the dish a bit more filling.
Serve with a green salad, some fresh spinach leaves or simply on its own.
Add your name & email address in the box above, and you won’t ever miss the latest candida diet tips & recipes ?